Thursday, November 12, 2015

719 Walnut Ave: Mahogany Driftwood | Candle Review


Today's candle review is of Mahogany Driftwood from 719 Walnut Ave.  I picked this candle up from my local Walmart for the full retail price of $4.97.

Official Scent Description: The cologne of mahogany and cedar woods are rounded with light floral notes

UPDATE: Video review embedded below


Initial Thoughts: 

A lot of people across the internet have dubbed these candles "Bath & Body Works Dupes" and not without good reason.  The packaging is similar, the 3 wicks, and the very similar scents names and notes.  This one is said to be a dupe of Mahogany Teakwood which is one of my favorite Bath & Body Works candles.  The pressure is on.  

I usually have pretty good luck with this candle brand.  In fact, I've only had one that burned poorly which was Pumpkin Latte from last year.  

I have heard nothing but good reviews for this candle.  So, I have high hopes.

Cold Impression: 

It smells pretty true to the description on cold.  The strongest note is a musky cologne while a fragrant wood and light floral notes are behind it.

Does it smell similar to Mahogany Teakwood from Bath & Body Works?  I think it does, but it is definitely not identical.  I smelled them side by side and felt that the Bath & Body Works candle was stronger on cold and not as equally balanced as this one as far as the scent notes go.

For reference, here's the newest official scent description for Bath & Body Works' Mahogany Teakwood:  "Fill your home with the classic luxury of mahogany, oak & frosted lavender"

Performance and Stats: 

What: 14oz, 3 wick

Duration: 59 hours

Burn:  The burn was amazing!  It made a deep and even wax pool very quickly each time.  There was barely any wax left stuck to the sides.  There was no soot.  I didn't even get hardly any wick crud in the bottom.  I wish all candles could burn like this one did.

Throw:  I would put the throw at a medium.  It did very well in my small and narrow bathroom, but it got lost in my living room and kitchen.  There definitely was a decent throw that was consistent throughout.

I did notice that the other reviews of this candle that claimed really crazy strong throw had different packaging than the autumn leaf one I had.  They either had oars or a river with a branch on them.  So, I did purchase one in different packaging that I want to test later as well.

As for this particular candle that I bought, the throw was just okay and had to be in a small room.

Final Thoughts:  

This candle did great for me especially when you consider the full retail price is under $5.  It did better than most of the over $20 retail price candles that I've burned.

The burn was flawless, and I was so happy to enjoy it for almost 60 burn hours.  I was pleasantly surprised since most candle reviewers I've seen say you'll get 30 hours.  (That's the problem with candle reviews in which the candle has barely been burned, but...that's a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother day for sure.)

Is it the same or even better than the Mahogany Teakwood by Bath & Body Works?  I don't think so.  I think they are very similar to one another but not the same.  I like both of them.  I do believe Mahogany Teakwood is a slightly stronger thrower, but, as stated above, I've bought another Mahogany Driftwood in another packaging to try.

If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose the 719 Walnut Ave candle since it is like than 25% of the Bath & Body Works candle price.  So, I could enjoy more than 4 great candles for the price of one.  It's a no brainer. 

----

Video Review (Shows during and end of burn)



Or watch on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0O-4S0sEO0

----

*Not sponsored.  I bought this with my own money and all that good stuff.  This review is based off of my opinion and experience with this particular candle.  Your experience may vary.  Yadda.  Yadda.  Yadda.

No comments:

Post a Comment