Monday, July 27, 2015

Yankee Candle Review: Vanilla Lime (Large Jar & Large Tumbler)


Today's candle review is a two for one with Vanilla Lime for Yankee Candle in both the large 22oz single wick jar and the large 22oz double wick tumbler.  I ordered these straight from the company's website.  They each retail for $27.99, but they often have sales to get the price much lower.

Official Scent Description: Smooth and refreshing - the creamy richness of vanilla with sweet cane sugar and a zesty lime twist.


Initial Thoughts:

I don't have that much experience with Yankee Candle products.  I have burned a 17oz 3-wick tumbler in Banana Nut which did amazing for me, as well as, melted a tart in Fruit Fusion that did quite well. (Wax of the Day post coming soon for that.)

I have seen so many people talk about how much they love this brand and get excited about it.  The price tag on these definitely tells me that they should burn well and be great quality.  I mean, $27.99 for a candle is very steep.

Thankfully, me being the cheap skate that I am, I got these at a considerable discount on a SAS glitch sale.

I am just very curious to see if these live up to the huge hype.

Cold Impression:

It smells just like the description states.  You get a great mixture of lime and vanilla with a hint of sweetness.  The lime really lends a brightness to it that makes it more reminiscent of a sweet drink than a cold treat.

Performance and Stats:

---Large Jar:

What: 22oz Single Wick, 2015 pour

Duration:  145 hours (Burned it for over 8 hours at a time with an Iluma-Lid in a hurricane)

Let's start with the good things.  I got a lot of burn time out of it.  There was little soot.  The wax was a pretty green color.  That's it.

Now, let's get into the negatives.  It tunneled like crazy despite me burning it for long periods of time each time.  I never did get an even wax pool.  I never trimmed the wick either.

There was no throw, despite it being quite strong on cold.  It might as well have been unscented.  I tried it in my kitchen, my living room, and my embarrassingly tiny bathroom to no avail.

Toward the bottom of the candle, it had tunneled to the point where it wasn't getting enough air.  So I had to use 4 cotton balls to get the wax level down.  Then, I had to pour out some wax after that.  (As shown on the top of the jar lid below.)

---Large Tumbler

What: 22oz double wick, 2015 pour

Duration:  80 hours  (for at least 8 hours each time, part of the time in a hurricane)

Again, let's start with the good things.  The wax pooled out very quickly, and it was a very deep pool.  There was little soot.

That was all the good.

The burn on this one, while clean, was horrible.  A little bit after the wax pool would form, like clockwork, the wicks would slowly drown and put themselves out each time.  I soaked about 7 cotton balls in expensive wax to get the level down before I just started pouring the wax out into little molds I had in a effort to save some to melt on my warmer later.  (Pictured inside of the glass below.)

It was an endless cycle to the bottom of the candle.  I would light it.  Wax pool would form.  Shortly after, the wicks would drown and extinguish themselves.  I would pour out some wax and relight it.  Repeat.

As for the throw, it was very light.  It was stronger than the large jar above.  I was able to smell it in my tiny, pitiful bathroom but not in any of the other rooms in the house or even beside me at my work space.

Lastly, it became unsafe to burn once it got close to the bottom.  Thankfully, someone commented on a video of mine on youtube warning me that the wicks might travel.  Sure enough, I walked around the corner and one of the wicks was right next to the glass.  I blew it out, because that is dangerous.  No thank you.



Final Thoughts:  

These were beyond disappointing.  I would never repurchase these again even if they were on crazy clearance.  I am forever thankful that I got these on such a good deal or I would be livid.

It makes me wonder why this brand is so hyped up on blogs and youtube.  Is it a brand prestige thing like how people will pay hundreds of bucks for a terrible quality plain white tee shirt with a label slapped on it?  Is it because the candles used to be much better several years ago?  Is it because a lot of people have only tried a couple different brands?  I honestly don't know.

What I do know is that the $27.99 price tag on these is just ridiculous.  I can get candles everyday for $5 or less that blow these out of the water.  It's just not a good start to my Yankee Candle journey at all.  It makes me just question a lot of things.

I do have a lot more Yankee Candles that I am going to burn and review.  So, we shall see.  I'm hoping these were just a couple of freakishly awful duds or something.

I will forever try to keep an open mind.  In fact, I've already started burning on Strawberry Buttercream in the large jar, and it's already doing 9000 times better than these did.

----

Video Review (In which one of the jars breaks on me UGH)



Or watch on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdfhPxsnA8

----

Official Scent Description From:  http://www.yankeecandle.com/fragrance/vanilla-lime

----

*This is based on my experience with these 2 particular candles.  Your experience may be different and so on and so forth.

*Not sponsored.  I bought these with my own money on a really good glitch sale.

1 comment:

  1. Wax melts UK Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete