Saturday, October 24, 2015

New Big Lots Winter and Holiday Candles 2015


I was able to stop in a bigger Big Lots store when I was out in the city earlier in the week and spotted 3 new candle displays.  They each had several different scents, styles, and accessories.  Lots of pictures and text goodness below.



The picture above is of the new 3 wicks (11.9oz) from the Glisten & Glow collection.  I love the jar!

The scents my store had were: Winterberry, Fallen Snow, and Amber Vanilla.

Fallen Snow is the name of a scent they had in last year's winter collection.  I didn't get time to properly sniff.  So, I'm not sure if it's the same scent.  My ones from last year that I got on clearance threw very well.

I do think it's "funny" how Big Lots candles keep creeping up in price.  Now, they are eight dollars?!  Last summer, they were only five dollars.

It's still not bad considering how insanely overpriced brands like Yankee Candle and Bath & Body Works are,. but still...  I'm going to wait on a Buzz coupon, clearance, or a bag of gold bars to magically appear on my back porch.


As shown above, the collection also has these pretty glass jar candles.  The smaller size (7.6oz) is $5, and the larger size (?oz) is $10.

The scents my store had in these styles were: Cinnamon Sugar and Fallen Snow.

Here's a look at the end cap with some of the accessories:


I feel like a lot of people sleep on the candle accessories at Big Lots.  They have some really nice ones.  You can get some great deals with Buzz coupons and clearance, too.

----

I turned the corner in the store, and I got slapped in the face by Christmas in mid-October.  Bam!


I forgot to turn a candle over to see the correct collection name.  So, I'm just calling it the holiday collection for this post.

These 3 wicks are very similar to the ones from the Glisten & Glow collection except that the top label is different, it's says "Merry Christmas," and it has a couple holiday specific images like ornaments on the side.

The scents my store had were: Vanilla, Schrenk Spruce, and Apple Spice.

They also had these adorably decorated mason jar candles (11.11oz):


My store had them in green, red, and white each with a little pine accent from a tree that magically grows holly berries, too.  These are cute, but I hope that's not a fire hazard.

These are $6 each.  I'm also thinking that they may be unscented, but I didn't get time to sniff.  The label for the green one just says, "Green Jar Candle."

They also had a few candle accessories and home decor items to go with them:


I hope they get more than this selection.  While they are cute, they are few.  Also, $10 for a wine stopper and charm set?  Really?  Will it grow you your own vineyard, too?  Geez.

----

In another section of the store, closer to the cleaner aisle, there was yet another display featuring the Living Colors candles:


They had several candles styles: large jar, small tumbler, 3 wick tumbler, pillar candles, and tea lights.  They also had a couple hurricanes that were crazy high priced.  (Can y'all tell I'm cheap?)

To be honest, I didn't look at the prices and ounces and whatnot because I've had no luck with the Living Colors line and don't recommend them.

But...I've seen some people say that they have great luck and swear by them, so here's the scents they had out:


The scents from left to right: Sparkling Cinnamon, Frosted Mint, Christmas Morning, Gingerbread Latte, Balsam & Cedar, and Holiday Splendor.

----

Final Thoughts & Notes: 

I just have to say that I am so glad that Big Lots has rolled out some non-Christmas specific candles in addition to the Christmas ones.

First, I don't like to buy hardly any holiday specific items as they are relevant for a very small window of time.  Second, not everyone celebrates the Christmas holiday.  Thirdly, it makes gift giving easier, because who wants something that says "Christmas" on it on Christmas day.  Are you supposed to save it for next year?

I have feelings, okay.  Haha.  The Christmas ones are very cute, despite having generic scent choices, but I like to have options.

As for how well these candles do:

While I can't say how well these candles will do specifically, I have had pretty good luck with the Big Lots candles.  I have burned a lot of them over the last 2-3 years, and I've only had two that had no throw: Lemongrass Verbena and Garden Pathway.  The vast majority have rocked my socks off or whatever the expression is these days.

These are not to be confused with the Living Colors Candles from Big Lots.  I've never had luck with them.  Not one candle from that line has ever burned right or has thrown well for me.  So, I personally don't recommend them unless you get them heavily discounted.  To be fair, there are others that have given them glowing reviews.  So, use your judgement as you will.

----

*Not Sponsored.  I would have 5 cows if I was ever cool enough for Big Lots to sponsor me.

No comments:

Post a Comment