Thursday, October 22, 2015

Walmart Haul: Fall Candles and Melts


This is a small haul from my local Walmart from a little bit ago.  Product list, scent impressions, mini reviews of items I've used, and more will be below.



Candles

719 Walnut Ave - Mahogany Driftwood (3 wick, 14oz)

This candle retails for $4.97 and can be found in the cleaner aisle with the scented oil plug ins and fabric refreshers.

Official Scent Description:  The cologne of mahogany and cedar woods are rounded with light floral notes.

The scent description is quite accurate to what you get on cold and burning.  To my nose, it is 90% plus the same as Bath & Body Works Mahogany Teakwood.

I have seen some reviewers describe this scent as an Abecrombie & Fitch scent.  I have never been in or near one of those stores.  (I live in the boonies, y'all.  Also, I don't believe in paying a ton of money for crappily made clothes with a fancy logo throw on.  Oh hey.) I thought it may give someone a point of reference to mention that. 

I haven't burned the particular candle in the picture above as of yet, but I have burned one before this one with a different label that had an autumn leaf on it in the bottom right corner.  Perhaps, it was last year's packaging?  I will have a review post of that one coming up soon with more details.

The one I had completely burned did quite well.  It burned like a dream.  I did only get a medium throw at the strongest point.  So, I was baffled by that as all of the other reviews I've seen speak of a really strong throw.  Those reviews showed a candle with the packaging above.  So, I decided to pick another one up with this particular label to see if I have any better luck.

Mainstay Aromabeads - Banana Nut Bread (1 wick, 7.25oz)

This candle retails for $5.00 and can be found in the candle aisle in the home decor section of the store.

I couldn't find an official scent description, but it's pretty self explanatory.

I wanted to try one of these, because this is one of the Mainstays lines made by Hanna's Candles with whom I've always had pretty good success.  Also, the price was right.  Oh yeah!

I have burned this one all the way down and should have a separate detailed review coming up.

The burn was pretty good.  The throw was amazing!  I was shocked.  It filled up half the house and then some.  It was consistent in scent up until about 80-85% of the way down (about 3/4" of wax left.)  Then, the banana note went a little wonky. 

Overall, I was over the moon and intend to try more of the candles from this line as soon as I have funds and burn down some more I already have.

719 Walnut Ave - Pumpkin Waffles (3 wick, 14oz)

This candle retails for $4.97 and can be found in the cleaner aisle with the scented oil plug ins and fabric refreshers.

Official Scent Description:  Deliciously decadent, pumpkin waffles are topped with rich maple syrup and a touch of brown sugar.

To my nose, I get a buttery maple syrup first and then a warm and sweet bakery note behind it like a pumpkin sugar cookie that hasn't completely cooled.  (Or...a waffle, I guess.)

A lot of people say that it's a dupe for Bath and Body Works' Pumpkin Pecan Waffles.  I have never had that candle.  So, I can neither confirm or deny that.

This is not the usual type of scent that I pick up.  I'm just not a syrupy sweet bakery kind of gal.  I'm a wood chip, patchouli, leathery lumber jack sitting in a pine tree with a piece of spearmint candy in his mouth type of scent lady.  Haha!

I have just seen so many great reviews for it that claim that the throw is unparalleled.  Many people say that it's one of their top favorite candles of all time.  So, I just had to pick up this candle poured with delicate angel hands with wax mixed with unicorn tears to try for myself.  I am very hopeful, because I've had decent luck with other products from this brand.

I haven't burned it yet as I want to do a thorough review post of it which will hopefully be coming up soon.

----

Wax Melts

Scentsationals - White Sandalwood (6pk clamshell, 2.5oz)

This pack retails for $2.00 and can be found in the candle aisle of the home decor section of the store.

I couldn't find an official scent description.  It does say, "You will forever be my always" on the front with an angry looking peacock drawn in charcoal.  That's not creepy at all, not even one tiny bit.

I haven't melted these yet, but they smell just like the name suggests.  It reminds me of my old incense days.  Oh yes.

Scentsationals - Mystical Wonderland (10pk clamshell, 2.5oz)

This pack retails for $2.00 and can be found in the candle aisle of the home decor section of the store.

This is a dual scent pack with 5 quarter ounce cubes each of White Sandalwood and Ebony Woods. 

I talked about White Sandalwood above.  I'm not getting much of anything off Ebony Woods on cold.  So, I hope something happens when I go to melt it.

Better Homes & Gardens - Banana Bread Pudding (6pk clamshell, 2.5oz)

This pack retails for $2.00 and can be found in the candle aisle of the home decor section of the store.

I couldn't find an official scent description, but this smells like a equal mix of banana instant pudding and vanilla wafers.

I haven't melted this yet, but I hope it does well.  Banana scents can be sweet and amazing or end up smelling like old popcorn in my experience.

----

*As always, this are my opinions based on these particular products.  Your experience may vary, etc.

*Purchased all items mentioned with my own pitiful, beat down wallet.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment