Thursday, July 2, 2015

Coffee House Collection from Big Lots (Candle Review)


Today, I have my review of the Coffee House Collection of candles from Big Lots.  I purchased the 15oz double wick tumblers, but these are also available in single wick mason jar candles.

There are four scents in the collection:  Caramel Macchiato, Vanilla Spice Latte, Hazelnut Cappuccino, and Raspberry Mocha.


Initial Thoughts:

Big Lots candles can be very hit and miss for me.  So, I am hoping that they do well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Cold Impression:

Caramel Macchiato smells just like black coffee.  This one is definitely the strongest of the collection on cold.

Vanilla Spice Latte is a warm vanilla.  It is the weakest on cold.

Raspberry Mocha smells just like the raspberry flavored syrups that they add to coffee drinks.

Hazelnut Cappuccino has a light nutty smell to it.

Performance and Stats:

What: 15oz, 2 wick tumblers

Where: Big Lots

Price: $6 each

DurationVanilla Spice Latte (50hrs), Caramel Macchiato (53hrs), Raspberry Mocha (53.5hrs), Hazelnut Cappuccino (45hrs)
 
With the exception of the Vanilla Spice Latte, all of these burned nicely with little soot as long as I kept the wicks trimmed before each burning. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the throw on these candles.  Caramel Macchiato had the strongest throw of the bunch.  Raspberry Mocha and Hazelnut Cappuccino had a medium throw.  Vanilla Spice Latte had a light medium throw, but it did spread throughout the house as a background scent.

The scent throw was also consistent throughout the entire burn of each candle right from the start.  Very nice!

Final Thoughts:  

I wasn't blown away by this collection, but I was pleasantly surprised!  These did a lot better than some of the "frou frou expensive" candles that I've burned for sure.

My favorite was surprisingly Hazelnut Cappuccino.  It wasn't a very strong scent, about a medium throw, but it spread throughout the house as a warm and nutty background scent.  I really liked it!

Would I buy any again?

Yes!  I would totally pick up Hazelnut Cappuccino and Caramel Macchiato again in a heartbeat.  Raspberry Mocha did okay, but it just isn't to my preference.  I also didn't like how I had to babysit the Vanilla Spice Latte because of the sooting issue.  

I hope Big Lots keeps these cute collections coming.  I love it!

----

Video Review of the Entire Collection



Or watch on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DRv1Ta1Cqg

----

Not sponsored.  It would be heaven for a gal like me to be cool enough to be friends with Big Lots. 

Also, this is my experience with these particular candles.  I'm not the end all, be all guru of wax.  If anyone claims to be, then get your shovel ready.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment